Johannes N. Van Den Anker, MD, Ph.D., F.A.A.P, F.C.P
Johannes van den Anker received his M.D. in 1983 from Erasmus University, Rotterdam, the Netherlands and was a resident in Pediatrics (1984-1988) and a fellow in Neonatal Medicine (1999-2001) at Sophia Children’s Hospital in Rotterdam.
After his clinical training he conducted clinical pharmacology studies investigating the impact of renal function development on clinical pharmacokinetics in the neonate that resulted in the successful defense of his Ph.D. in 1995.
In 1997 he became Director of Neonatology and Professor of Pediatrics and Neonatology at Erasmus University.
Currently he is the Vice Chair of Pediatrics for Experimental Therapeutics and Director of Clinical Pharmacology at Children’s National Health System in Washington, DC, USA and is Professor of Pediatrics, Integrative Systems Biology, Pharmacology & Physiology at George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, and the Chair of Paediatric Pharmacology and Pharmacometrics at the University of Basel Children’s Hospital in Switzerland
He is also appointed at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine as an Adjunct Professor of Medicine, Pediatrics, Pharmacology, and Molecular Sciences.
Since 2005 he holds the Evan and Cindy Jones Chair in Pediatric Clinical Pharmacology at Children’s National Health System and since 2014 he is the Distinguished Professor of Pediatric Pharmacology at the University of Basel Children’s Hospital in Switzerland.
He is board certified in Pediatrics by the American Academy of Pediatrics and in Clinical Pharmacology by the American Board of Clinical Pharmacology.
He has been granted several major awards from the National Institute of Health (NIH) and leads one of the only four NICHD-funded Research Centers Specialized in Pediatric Developmental Pharmacology in the USA.
He has published over 350 peer reviewed papers in the field of neonatal and pediatric clinical pharmacology and serves on the Editorial Board of several Clinical Pharmacology journals.
He has been a member of the Board of the American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics and is a former President of the European Society for Developmental, Perinatal and Paediatric Pharmacology.
Currently he is the President of the American College of Clinical Pharmacology, the President-elect of the European Society of Developmental, Perinatal and Paediatric Pharmacology, and a member of the Committee on Drugs of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Rongen-Westerlaken C, Drop SLS, van den Anker JN. Primary adrenocortical insufficiency in childhood. Acta Endocrinol Suppl (Copenh) 1986; 279:279-283.
- Groenendaal F, Rothbarth PH, van den Anker JN, Spritzer R. Congenital mumps pneumonia: a rare cause of neonatal respiratory distress. Acta Paediatr Scand 1990; 79:1252-1254.
- Wesselink M, van den Anker JN, Sauer PJJ. The use of corticosteroids in bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 1991; 135:943-946.
- Van den Anker JN, Baerts W, Quak JM, Robben SG, Meradji M. Iatrogenic perforation of the lamina cribrosa by nasogastric tube in an infant. Pediatr Radiol 1992;22:545-546.
- Kleinlugtenbeld EA, Van Lingen RA, Retter WPF, van den Anker JN. Neonatal sepsis in the first days of life caused by Haemophilus influenzae. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 1992; 136:1841-1843.
- Van den Anker JN, Van Vugt EE, Zandwijken GRJ, Cohen-Overbeek TE, Lindhout DA. Severe limb abnormalities: analysis of a cluster of five cases born during a period of 45 days. Am J Med Genet 1993; 45:659-667.
- Quak JME, Szatmari A, van den Anker JN. Cardiac tamponade in a preterm neonate secondary to a chest tube. Acta Paediatr 1993; 82:490-491.
- Van den Anker JN, Sinaasappel M. Bleeding as presenting symptom of cholestasis. J Perinatol 1993; 13:322-324.
- Szatmari A, van den Anker JN, Gaillard JLJ. An acardiac infant: the extreme form of the twin-twin transfusion syndrome. Int J Cardiol 1993; 41:237-240.
- Van den Anker JN, Mildner RJ, Sauer PJJ. Cocaine and pregnancy; who pays the bill? Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 1993; 137:118-121.
- Umans-Eckenhausen MAW, Terlouw JF, Szatmari A, van den Anker JN. Application of non-glycoside inotropic agents in the newborn infants. Tijdschr Kindergeneeskd 1993; 61:13-20.